Chunks Of Something

So I was smoking tonight in my newish MZ Safari with stock everything (hose, bowl, etc.) and I kept getting random small chunks of something yellow in my mouth. Now i've gotten chunks of ash sometimes with my friend's hookah, but those were black and pretty obviously ash (although i still don't know how they made it through the water and into my mouth), but these recent things are yellow and definitely not ash. I'm thinking it could possible be some of the wood from the hose breaking off? Is that possible, even if my hose is only a week or two old? Edited by ahadden

QUOTE (ahadden @ Sep 12 2008, 02:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I was smoking tonight in my newish MZ Safari with stock everything (hose, bowl, etc.) and I kept getting random small chunks of something yellow in my mouth. Now i've gotten chunks of ash sometimes with my friend's hookah, but those were black and pretty obviously ash (although i still don't know how they made it through the water and into my mouth), but these recent things are yellow and definitely not ash. I'm thinking it could possible be some of the wood from the hose breaking off? Is that possible, even if my hose is only a week or two old?

What you were getting through the hose from your friends hookah is NOT ash! It is 100% impossible for ash to make it through the pipe..the water completely obliterates it on contact. Thats a hose problem...and that black stuff that was in your mouth comes from the wooden part of the hose [due to it getting old and falling apart from the inside].

Now as to your problem, something is definitely wrong with the hose. Make sure that there has not been any water it or anything that could allow the wooden parts of it to deteriorate.

PS: What kind of a hose is it? Pics of the end of it would help.

some of my unwashable hoses get that aswell. i usually just put a tiny bit of lemon juice in it to clean it out and then make sure it gets dried very good. not really sure what it is. could be wood flaking off or a resin type build up(not likely but who knows) from the smoke. i hate it though gets stuck on the back of your throut and makes you cough and all that crappy stuff. makes smoking much less enjoyable.

QUOTE (Tiburonsrule @ Sep 12 2008, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
some of my unwashable hoses get that aswell. i usually just put a tiny bit of lemon juice in it to clean it out and then make sure it gets dried very good. not really sure what it is. could be wood flaking off or a resin type build up(not likely but who knows) from the smoke. i hate it though gets stuck on the back of your throut and makes you cough and all that crappy stuff. makes smoking much less enjoyable.

Thats your hose rusting, and I dont think rust can be too good for ya tongue.gif Id invest in a fully washable hose

No its definatly not rust. i have had hoses rust on me before. these chunks are a yellow color and kind of look like a bogue lol. looking into my hose i could see little yellow formations on the wood tip part. i just washed it out slightly and problem solved. rust is more of a dusty feeling when you draw through a rusted hose and it comes out a lot darker. Pls if you have Rust dont continue smoking through your hose.

QUOTE (Tiburonsrule @ Sep 12 2008, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No its definatly not rust. i have had hoses rust on me before. these chunks are a yellow color and kind of look like a bogue lol. looking into my hose i could see little yellow formations on the wood tip part. i just washed it out slightly and problem solved. rust is more of a dusty feeling when you draw through a rusted hose and it comes out a lot darker. Pls if you have Rust dont continue smoking through your hose.

What kind of hookah are you smoking from? I know the Mya QTs sometimes have glue that breaks loose

QUOTE (ryno @ Sep 12 2008, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Tiburonsrule @ Sep 12 2008, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What kind of hookah are you smoking from? I know the Mya QTs sometimes have glue that breaks loose

The hose i was using was some thing I bought from a local shop when i was relatively new to the hookah seen. Not the greatest now that i know more about Hookah. In definite need of an up-date. but since my base broke i am waiting till my new one gets here before i spend any more money on hookah.

i wouldnt really suggest washing it if you want it to last awhile. I only have done it to mine because i intend on upgrading to a washable hose very soon and i was just looking for a fast fix. For the time being just shake it out really good or blow it out and see if that helps you out. sorry if any of my top post came of misinforming. Edited by Tiburonsrule

QUOTE (Codename067 @ Sep 12 2008, 04:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is 100% impossible for ash to make it through the pipe..the water completely obliterates it on contact. Thats a hose problem...and that black stuff that was in your mouth comes from the wooden part of the hose [due to it getting old and falling apart from the inside].

Now as to your problem, something is definitely wrong with the hose. Make sure that there has not been any water it or anything that could allow the wooden parts of it to deteriorate.

Not necessarily! I've heard stories about narguile leprechauns sneaking ash into hoses. Try to disprove it! tongue.gif

That being said. The problem is that the OP is not blowing his hoses out after each smoke, which results in residue being created by the smoke left for hours inside of the hose.

Ahadden, if your hose is unwashable, try blowing through it as hard as you can for 5-10 minutes, then try smoking again. Still getting crap through the hose? It's probably fubar. Be cautious about smoking through vinyl; if it heats up too much it can contaminate the smoke and make you very sick, or even kill you. I strongly recommend a Nammor or Razan hose. Regardless of what you do, always give the hose a good blowing-through before and after every smoke!

Edit: if you can't get all the residue out by blowing, you might want to try having a few smoking sessions using a mouth filter. Edited by gaia.plateau

So i took a bristled pipe cleaner to my wood hose and loosened up the wood inside. It didn't look rotted and since the hose is pretty new i figured it was probably just extra stuff flaking off randomly. I still might do the home depot hose mod though

IF the tip is wooden it could well be that it's not a perfectly made hole in the center of it. When I home depoted my hoses i noticed that the holes weren't completely done and there was wood and shit sticking out so I took a wire brush to it and essentially "sanded" them down, much much better.